Everything You Need to Know For Open Season 2022
All our Open Season coverage in one place to help you make the best decision this season.
It’s Open Season for employees that participate in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. Participants have until Dec. 12 to make changes to their health plans for 2023.
The employee share of premiums will jump 8.7% in 2023, the biggest increase in 10 years. When OPM released the new rates in September, agency officials attributed the jump in premiums to the “unprecedented volatility” in health care costs due to COVID-19, noting that the pandemic cost FEHBP about $2 billion in the testing and treatment of the disease in 2021.
Still, premium changes can vary between plans, and enrollees should doublecheck to make sure their plan is right for them and their families. Fewer than 2.5% of federal employees change their health plan during Open Season. Even if you are happy with your current plan, it may change in 2023 with the increase in premiums.
Below are links to some of GovExec’s 2022 Open Season coverage, so you can quickly find advice and information about your health benefits.
- Open Season Checklist: Even if you think you do not want to change your health benefits, it can still be helpful to review all the details about Open Season. This checklist will help you confirm if your health plan is still best for you and your family.
- Medicare and Open Season: The basics of Medicare, and how it interacts with FEHBP.
- OPM Director Urges Enrollees Not to Leave Savings on the Table: OPM Director Khiran Ahuja warned employees in October that they could be leaving thousands of dollars on the table this Open Season, along with resources enrollees can use to save money.
- Annual Insurance Checkups: Resources to make educated decisions about your insurance this Open Season.
- Open Season To-Do List: Comprehensive steps to take during Open Season.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: The FSA allows employees to contribute pre-tax dollars for health care expenses and more. Learn how the health care FSA works.
- A Closer Look at 2023 FEHBP Premiums: Information on changes to popular plans, which plans increased or decreased the most, and more.