State & Local
When schools reopen this fall, demographic changes will have tipped the balance to nonwhite students.
- Peter Bell and Janell Ross, National Journal
Both parties rank it as one of their top concerns.
- Michael Catalini, Naureen Khan and Peter Bell, National Journal
Some 86 percent of Republicans surveyed said they believe aid allocated by Congress must be offset by spending cuts elsewhere in the budget.
- Taylor West and Peter Bell
Pay & Benefits
Big majority of Republicans and relatively high percentage of Democrats eye overhauling federal retirement system.
- Peter Bell and James A. Barnes
Freshmen accounted for $263 million in personal, single-sponsor earmarks.
- Megan Scully and Peter Bell