- Establish a comprehensive inventory of IT assets that includes up-to-date cost and schedule information.
- Develop and oversee a thorough IT investment portfolio.
- Implement an effective computer security program.
- Correct IT security weaknesses.
- Assess the IT civilian workforce's skills.
- Document progress on recruiting strategies and use results to improve human capital strategies.
GAO praised the Coast Guard for putting sound policy guidance into practice in some key areas, including software acquisition planning and project management and contract tracking and oversight. Transportation Department and Coast Guard officials generally agreed with GAO's recommendations and said they are working to put them into practice.