Air Force Announces Civilian Reduction in Force
The Air Force has announced plans to exercise its reduction in force authority to meet targets set in its fiscal 2012 budget.
Last year’s budget required the service to reduce its civilian workforce by more than 16,000. The Air Force was able to eliminate approximately 15,000 positions without layoffs but now must use RIFs to achieve the remainder of the reductions, the service said Wednesday.
The move is not related to sequestration, the Air Force said. The service hopes to use the RIF process to realign and retain employees.
"Usually a reduction in force has negative perception, but the use of RIF procedures will allow many employees to be retained and continue employment with the Air Force," Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, director of force management policy for the Air Force said. "We want to assure everyone involved with this process that we remain committed to minimizing the impacts during these times of transition."
About 60 Air Force installations will use civilian RIF authority through late August, the service said.