Air Force Announces Civilian Reduction in Force
- By GovExec Staff
- April 18, 2013
- Comments
United States Air Force
The Air Force has announced plans to exercise its reduction in force authority to meet targets set in its fiscal 2012 budget.
Last year’s budget required the service to reduce its civilian workforce by more than 16,000. The Air Force was able to eliminate approximately 15,000 positions without layoffs but now must use RIFs to achieve the remainder of the reductions, the service said Wednesday.
The move is not related to sequestration, the Air Force said. The service hopes to use the RIF process to realign and retain employees.
"Usually a reduction in force has negative perception, but the use of RIF procedures will allow many employees to be retained and continue employment with the Air Force," Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, director of force management policy for the Air Force said. "We want to assure everyone involved with this process that we remain committed to minimizing the impacts during these times of transition."
About 60 Air Force installations will use civilian RIF authority through late August, the service said.
By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. Although GovExec.com does not monitor comments posted to this site (and has no obligation to), it reserves the right to delete, edit, or move any material that it deems to be in violation of this rule.
Furlough 'Consistency and Fairness'
Innovation in Government Dips
TSP Funds Stay Positive in April
5 Agencies with the Most Disconnected Leadership
No Bonuses for VA Benefits Execs
Will You Be Furloughed?
Sponsored
3 Ways Data is Improving DoD Performance
Research Report: Powering Continuous Monitoring Through Big Data
Need to Know Memo: Big Data
Cutting costs: Inside the effort to improve the efficiency of federal operations
