The Social Security Administration has posted some information related to payments and office closings on the East Coast during Hurricane Sandy.
The agency advises recipients who do not receive their scheduled Social Security payments as a result of the storm to go to any open SSA office and request an immediate payment. Several offices along the East Coast, however, are closed Oct. 29 as Hurricane Sandy moves up the Atlantic seaboard. Call 1-800-772-1213 to find the nearest open SSA office, ask for help, or check online, as many services are available there.
The following SSA offices are closed on Monday, Oct. 29, according to information from the website:
- All Connecticut offices.
- All Delaware offices.
- All Maryland offices.
- All Massachussetts offices. The Roxbury office is closed until further notice.
- All New Jersey offices.
- New Hampshire: Keene, Manchester, Nashua, and Portsmouth (closing at noon).
- New York: All New York City offices and New York counties including Westchester, Rockland, Nassau and Suffolk.
- North Carolina: Elizabeth City.
- Maine: Portland (Closing at noon), Saco(Closing at 1 p.m.).
- Pennsylvania: All offices in the Philadelphia metro and surrounding areas. Also all offices in the Harrisburg and surrounding areas.
- All Rhode Island offices.
- Virginia: Richmond, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Chesterfield, Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Culpeper, Winchester.
- All Washington, D.C. offices and those in the surrounding area.
- West Virginia: Martinsburg.