Most NSPS employees headed for full 2010 pay raise

Employees covered by the Pentagon's pay-for-performance system will receive the same base salary increase in January 2010 as their General Schedule counterparts, as long as their work is deemed acceptable, according to new orders from Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

"Given the ongoing leadership review of [the National Security Personnel System] and in consideration of recommendations made by the Defense Business Board in its recently published report on NSPS, the department leadership decided this was the most prudent course of action," the NSPS program office said in a fact sheet released with the decision.

Under the law that established the pay system, employees who are rated better than "unacceptable" -- the lowest possible mark - are entitled to at least 60 percent of the General Schedule raise. The Defense secretary has the authority to allocate the remaining 40 percent to pay pools, to be distributed based on employees' job performance. This is what happened for the 2009 raise.

But for 2010, employees performing at an acceptable level will receive the entire General Schedule raise. Exceptional workers will qualify for additional raises and bonuses, but those will have a separate funding stream.

Employees who are rated "unacceptable" were not entitled to that 60 percent raise in the past, and the new policy does not extend any new raises to them.

The three-person panel convened by the Defense Business Board to study NSPS criticized the pay pool system in its final report, released in August, saying the system was confusing and not sufficiently transparent. Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn and Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry are reviewing the board's findings.

Matt Biggs, legislative director for the International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, one of the federal employee unions that has opposed NSPS, said he thought the Defense Department's decision was prompted by congressional amendments to the fiscal 2010 Defense authorization bill that threaten to abolish the pay system. Differences in the House and Senate versions of that provision have yet to be resolved in ongoing negotiations on the bill.

IFPTE President Gregory Junemann said the decision was a ploy to make NSPS look more employee-friendly. "Trying to fix NSPS is like mopping a dirt floor," he wrote in an e-mail to Defense Department officials and leaders of other unions.

Stay up-to-date with federal news alerts and analysis — Sign up for GovExec's email newsletters.
Close [ x ] More from GovExec

Thank you for subscribing to newsletters from
We think these reports might interest you:

  • Going Agile:Revolutionizing Federal Digital Services Delivery

    Here’s one indication that times have changed: Harriet Tubman is going to be the next face of the twenty dollar bill. Another sign of change? The way in which the federal government arrived at that decision.

  • Cyber Risk Report: Cybercrime Trends from 2016

    In our first half 2016 cyber trends report, SurfWatch Labs threat intelligence analysts noted one key theme – the interconnected nature of cybercrime – and the second half of the year saw organizations continuing to struggle with that reality. The number of potential cyber threats, the pool of already compromised information, and the ease of finding increasingly sophisticated cybercriminal tools continued to snowball throughout the year.

  • Featured Content from RSA Conference: Dissed by NIST

    Learn more about the latest draft of the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology guidance document on authentication and lifecycle management.

  • GBC Issue Brief: The Future of 9-1-1

    A Look Into the Next Generation of Emergency Services

  • GBC Survey Report: Securing the Perimeters

    A candid survey on cybersecurity in state and local governments

  • The New IP: Moving Government Agencies Toward the Network of The Future

    Federal IT managers are looking to modernize legacy network infrastructures that are taxed by growing demands from mobile devices, video, vast amounts of data, and more. This issue brief discusses the federal government network landscape, as well as market, financial force drivers for network modernization.

  • eBook: State & Local Cybersecurity

    CenturyLink is committed to helping state and local governments meet their cybersecurity challenges. Towards that end, CenturyLink commissioned a study from the Government Business Council that looked at the perceptions, attitudes and experiences of state and local leaders around the cybersecurity issue. The results were surprising in a number of ways. Learn more about their findings and the ways in which state and local governments can combat cybersecurity threats with this eBook.


When you download a report, your information may be shared with the underwriters of that document.