(1) The rates of basic pay for each statutory pay system will be increased by 2.3 percent effective on the first day of the first applicable pay period beginning on or after January 1, 1998; and
(2) Locality-based comparability payments will be increased on the same date by an overall amount that will increase the GS payroll by about 0.5 percent.
|Locality Pay Area||1998 Locality Rate (2)||Net Increase in 1998 (3)|
|Los Angeles (1)||10.31||3.09|
|Washington, D.C. (1)||7.27||2.45|
|Rest of the United States||5.42||2.90|
(1) The Los Angeles locality pay area includes Santa Barbara County and Edwards Air Force Base, CA. The Hartford locality pay area includes that portion of New London County, CT, not located within the Hartford, CT area. The Washington-Baltimore locality pay area includes St. Mary's County, MD.
(2) The 1998 locality rate replaces the 1997 rate. It is not paid in addition to or on top of the 1997 locality rate.
(3) The net increase includes the increase in locality pay and the 2.3 percent across-the-board increase.