House committee rejects Democratic sequester replacement
- By Kellie Lunney
- February 5, 2013
- Comments
Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., offered an amendment to H.R. 44 which directs President Obama to submit a balanced budget plan to Congress this spring.
Evan Vucci/AP file photo
The House Rules Committee has rejected a Democratic measure that would have replaced the automatic, across-the-board spending cuts scheduled to take effect on March 1.
Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., offered an amendment to H.R. 444, the so-called Require a Plan Act, which directs President Obama to submit a balanced budget plan to Congress this spring. Van Hollen’s measure would have eliminated the 2013 sequester and replaced it with a “balanced approach to deficit reduction,” according to the text of the amendment. The committee, which held a hearing Monday evening on H.R. 444, did not rule the amendment in order, thereby denying it consideration on the floor.
“Once again, House Republicans have made clear they are more interested in budget gimmicks than budget solutions,” Van Hollen said in a statement. “Washington Republicans have created a series of fiscal crises, but refuse to allow a vote on the House floor on the Democrats’ balanced approach to replace the sequester’s meat-ax style spending cuts.”
House GOP leaders have criticized Obama for failing to submit a balanced budget or a satisfactory framework for achieving long-term deficit reduction. “There is no excuse for having missed the mark four times in the past five years,” said House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., on Monday. “Even the budget he eventually submitted last year never achieved balance. We need to get spending under control.”
Van Hollen’s amendment offered a mix of spending cuts and revenue increases to reduce the deficit. It increased taxes on high-income earners, ended some tax breaks to oil and gas companies and eliminated direct payment programs to farmers. Van Hollen unsuccessfully tried to tack on a similar amendment last fall to a House bill that
The Require a Plan Act obliges Obama to submit a supplemental budget by April 1 if his fiscal 2014 budget blueprint does not include a plan to balance the government’s books. The administration on Monday missed the annual deadline to submit its budget recommendation for the upcoming fiscal year, citing uncertainty over the fiscal cliff and sequestration as reasons for the delay. The administration’s proposal is expected sometime in March, though it’s not clear when exactly.
By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. Although GovExec.com does not monitor comments posted to this site (and has no obligation to), it reserves the right to delete, edit, or move any material that it deems to be in violation of this rule.
Many Feds Face Furloughs Twice
Dems Back Retroactive Shutdown Pay
How Long Has the Shutdown Lasted?
Agencies Post Shutdown Plans Online
No TSP Contributions During a Shutdown
How Contractors Might Weather a Shutdown
Research Report: Powering Continuous Monitoring Through Big Data
Nextgov Prime - The Most Powerful Moment in Federal IT
Get the Future of Defense Directly In Your Inbox
Sponsored
Social Business: The Power of Delivering Exceptional Customer Experiences
