Alleged White House shooter charged with assassination attempt
- By Ethan Klapper
- November 17, 2011
- Comments
An Idaho man who allegedly fired two shots at the White House last week has been charged with attempting to assassinate President Obama, the U.S. Attorney's office in Washington said on Thursday.
Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, 21, of Idaho Falls, was arrested on Wednesday in Pennsylvania and taken into federal custody. He was charged on Thursday in a federal court in Pittsburgh and will be taken back to Washington to face the charges. Ortega-Hernandez only said "Yes, ma'am" when asked if he understood he was going back to Washington, according to the Associated Press.
The maximum sentence for Ortega-Hernandez's charge is life in prison.
Obama was not in Washington at the time of the shooting.
By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. Although GovExec.com does not monitor comments posted to this site (and has no obligation to), it reserves the right to delete, edit, or move any material that it deems to be in violation of this rule.
Many Feds Face Furloughs Twice
Lawmakers Push Retroactive Furlough Pay
How Long Has the Shutdown Lasted?
In Focus: Who Faces Furloughs?
No TSP Contributions During a Shutdown
How Contractors Might Weather a Shutdown
Nextgov Prime - The Most Powerful Moment in Federal IT
Get the Future of Defense Directly In Your Inbox
Sponsored
Social Business: The Power of Delivering Exceptional Customer Experiences
Research Report: Powering Continuous Monitoring Through Big Data
