Burning Question: What do you think of the Oval Office makeover?
- August 31, 2010
- Leave a comment
Presidents typically redo the Oval Office sometime after they're inaugurated, to put their own stamp on the room. The White House said the cost of Obama's overhaul was in line with that of Bush and his predecessor, Bill Clinton, and that funds for the work came from Obama's inaugural committee and the nonprofit White House Historical Association.
The Associated Press reports (in a feature that includes several photos of the new setup) that the Oval Office features new wallpaper, lamps, sofas, a coffee table and a cream-colored rug embroidered with inspirational quotations:
- "GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE." -- Abraham Lincoln
- "NO PROBLEM OF HUMAN DESTINY IS BEYOND HUMAN BEINGS." -- John F. Kennedy
- "THE WELFARE OF EACH OF US IS DEPENDENT FUNDAMENTALLY ON THE WELFARE OF ALL OF US." -- Theodore Roosevelt
- "THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF." -- Franklin Roosevelt
- "THE ARC OF THE MORAL UNIVERSE IS LONG, BUT IT BENDS TOWARD JUSTICE." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
What do you think of the new look? Oval Office makeover to debut in Iraq speech
Burning Question is a recurring feature that looks at key issues and compelling stories being explored at other publications and social media sites.