To: Secretary of State Colin Powell
March 10, 2003
Dear Mr. Secretary:
I am joining my colleague John Brady Kiesling in submitting my resignation from the Foreign Service (effective immediately) because I cannot in good conscience support President Bush's war plans against Iraq.
The president has failed:
- To explain clearly why our brave men and women in uniform should be ready to sacrifice their lives in a war on Iraq at this time;
- To lay out the full ramifications of this war, including the extent of innocent civilian casualties;
- To specify the economic costs of the war for ordinary Americans;
- To clarify how the war would help rid the world of terror;
- To take international public opinion against the war into serious consideration.
I joined the Foreign Service because I love our country. Respectfully, Mr. Secretary, I am now bringing this calling to a close, with a heavy heart but for the same reason that I embraced it.