Holder defends keeping Petraeus investigation from White House
- By Lara Seligman
- National Journal
- November 16, 2012
- Comments
Jacquelyn Martin/AP
Attorney General Eric Holder on Thursday defended the Justice Department’s decision to keep the investigation that led to former CIA Director David Petraeus’s resignation from the White House until after last week’s election, The Washington Post reported.
Holder said in a news conference in New Orleans that Justice saw no reason to advise officials outside the department before the investigation was complete because, “there was not a threat to national security.” The inquiry was handled “in an impartial way,” he emphasized.
“What we did was conduct the investigation in the way we normally conduct a criminal investigation,” Holder said. “We do not share outside the Justice Department, outside the FBI, the facts of ongoing investigations.”
The DOJ and the FBI have come under fire by critics who argue that the White House and congressional intelligence officials should have been informed of the investigation.
The CIA on Thursday opened an internal inquiry into Petraeus’s conduct during his 14-month tenure, bringing the number of active investigations into the scandal to three.
By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. Although GovExec.com does not monitor comments posted to this site (and has no obligation to), it reserves the right to delete, edit, or move any material that it deems to be in violation of this rule.
Many Feds Face Furloughs Twice
Lawmakers Push Retroactive Furlough Pay
How Long Has the Shutdown Lasted?
In Focus: Who Faces Furloughs?
No TSP Contributions During a Shutdown
How Contractors Might Weather a Shutdown
Get the Future of Defense Directly In Your Inbox
Nextgov Prime - The Most Powerful Moment in Federal IT
Sponsored
Social Business: The Power of Delivering Exceptional Customer Experiences
Research Report: Powering Continuous Monitoring Through Big Data
