Obama says those accountable in Afghan killings will face 'full force of the law'
- By Jamie Tarabay
- National Journal
- March 13, 2012
- Comments
Charles Dharapak/AP
Speaking to reporters in the Rose Garden on Tuesday, Obama said he was "heartbroken over the loss of innocent life." An American soldier is accused of leaving his base in a remote part of southern Afghanistan on Sunday and going door to door, shooting Afghan civilians. At least 16 died, including nine children.
"The United States takes this as seriously as if it were our own citizens and our own children who were murdered," he said.
The president said he has directed the Pentagon to spare no effort in conducting a full investigation. "I can assure the American people and the Afghan people that we will follow the facts wherever they lead us," he said. "And we will make sure that anybody who was involved is held fully accountable with the full force of the law."
So far one soldier is in custody while the Pentagon investigates.
By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. Although GovExec.com does not monitor comments posted to this site (and has no obligation to), it reserves the right to delete, edit, or move any material that it deems to be in violation of this rule.
Furlough 'Consistency and Fairness'
Innovation in Government Dips
TSP Funds Stay Positive in April
5 Agencies with the Most Disconnected Leadership
No Bonuses for VA Benefits Execs
Will You Be Furloughed?
Sponsored
3 Ways Data is Improving DoD Performance
Need to Know Memo: Big Data
Cutting costs: Inside the effort to improve the efficiency of federal operations
Continuous Monitoring As a Service: A Shift in the Way Government Does Business
