The Forum

Join the conversation about each issue at govexec.com/magazine.

Modernizing the Workplace

Much about the [Forest Service] renovation is quite lovely, but those “shared cubicles”? They are about as wide as coffins. No place for books and only one tiny two-drawer file cabinet? No thanks. I’d be teleworking all the time just to have a proper workspace..

Paine4444

More on collaborative office space
It all sounds great in theory but in reality these well-intentioned, feel-good concepts may actually decrease productivity and alienate as many employees as they motivate. If a team works consistently in group activity there may be benefits to open space team areas, but many employees must work independently, free from distractions, in order to focus on writing reports, analyzing difficult data and conducting the public’s business. Perhaps this is the workplace of the future for younger generations who are taught that working as part of a collective (group responsibility) is preferable to personal responsibility and independence. However, programs such as this as are not viewed in a positive light by many current employees.

NoHonorInCongress

CDOs: Form over function
What is lacking in the CDO’s job description is what new skills, experience, knowledge and leadership they bring to the role. Yes, it is an increasingly data centric world, but few of these CDOs bring much more than the capabilities of the current breed of CIOs and CTOs. The CDO role is form over function.
Most CIOs realized a long time ago that much of the data they have is of little value. Industry has come along and professed there is gold in the data. Business intelligence, big data, predictive analytics and the role of data scientist and CDO have been professed as the solutions. Spend more money. The problem is the data is of poor quality, they don’t have the right data and the current technologies do little to improve on this state of affairs. It’s a data gold rush and there are various alchemists who claim they can turn data into action and knowledge.

Richord1

Funding Ukraine’s drone war
I applaud their efforts and wish them the best, but sadly I don’t know that “buying time” is going to do them a lot of good. There is no help coming, the world isn’t interested in seriously getting involved. We (since I live in one such nation that will not truly help) are willing to only talk at the problem. Cease-fires are worthless if the military muscle to enforce them cannot be applied. Diplomacy only works so long as the belligerent individual knows you can (and have the will) to stop him with force if he does not comply.

TTotten

NEXT STORY: Briefing