FAA No Longer Needs to Close 149 Contract Towers
- By GovExec Staff
- May 10, 2013
- Comments
Elaine Thompson/AP
The Federal Aviation Administration will no longer need to close 149 contract airport control towers in June, the Transportation Department announced Friday.
Department officials determined that the Reducing Flight Delays Act signed by President Obama last week allows the transfer of adequate funds to keep the towers open through the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. That same act allowed the FAA to avoid air traffic controller furloughs.
The agency had faced a number of lawsuits attempting to block the contract tower closures, which would have primarily affected less heavily traveled airports.
In addition, the recently signed law will allow FAA to restore some funding for other programs, LaHood said. The agency will shift $10 million back to the NextGen air traffic control modernization program, and $11 million to “partially restore the support of infrastructure in the national airspace system,” he said.
By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. Although GovExec.com does not monitor comments posted to this site (and has no obligation to), it reserves the right to delete, edit, or move any material that it deems to be in violation of this rule.
Many Feds Face Furloughs Twice
Dems Back Retroactive Shutdown Pay
How Long Has the Shutdown Lasted?
Agencies Post Shutdown Plans Online
No TSP Contributions During a Shutdown
How Contractors Might Weather a Shutdown
Nextgov Prime - The Most Powerful Moment in Federal IT
Get the Future of Defense Directly In Your Inbox
Sponsored
Social Business: The Power of Delivering Exceptional Customer Experiences
Subscribe to Nextgov's Mobility Newsletter
